Thursday, August 10, 2006

National day night

A post to prove this blog is not yet dead!
So anyhow the story is, on the night of National Day Charissa invited me over to Shumin's house for a small party cum fireworks observation thing. So the story was, quiet gathering of junior batch (who I apparently know well!), with me there to keep Charissa company. She bluffed! (proving that she is indeed the conniving vixen I purported she was since JC!)
It turned out to be a small gathering of Shumin's friends. Three exchange students in NUS (one ABC and two french girls), two of Shumin's coursemates, and my 'junior batch', consisting of Jingjie, Aloysius and Peter only! (and of course Shumin herself).

I must say though, that despite my misgivings, I really enjoyed myself. Shumin's just such a warm and unassuming person, and I found that after initial awkwardness I really just began to stop being so self-conscious (I was wearing crap, although Peter beat me =P). I will add for the record that I enjoyed myself WITHOUT alcohol after fobbing them off with some excuse about wanting to save myself for ZL's 21st birthday party. Yeah right suckers!

A close friend (ok, David Charles) recently asked me why I never posted any of my personal thoughts on this blog. Well I figured, once I hit overseas the emo would start pouring out anyway, so might as well try and establish a readership before throwing in all the touchy-feely =P But oh well, this occured to me last night: I don't really identify with the youth culture of today (ie. drinking, clubbing). Meaning, I'm a fuddy-duddy. Or as David would put it, simply nehneh.

In fact, I was discussing with Mark that this fact is perhaps why we get along so well. We're conservatives! For instance, tonight I had dinner with my tour group to finish up our tour allowance (brought camera, forgot to take pictures -_-), and Michael was recounting this incident where this guy pierced his own tongue in the school toilet for fun. He was going on about how that guy really had guts and balls! To me though, I thought that guy was just plain dumb. I mean, it takes guts to admit your faults, to overcome fears, to just suck it up and move on sometimes. Does it take guts to mutilate yourself? Nah...I think it requires some absence of thought. Besides, the thought of all the germs in a school toilet...ew.

Since I'm talking about the dinner though, this is a special note for my tour group. Thanks heaps for the card and gift (esp Jane!), and it really was a honour and privilege to be part of your tour experience. Keep singing!

Ok...the buzz of Carls Jr has dimmed somewhat, and I feel ready for slumber. Not to mention that I have to be at my GP's clinic at 8am tomorrow for a meningitis and MMR immunisation. On another note, I wonder why it is that Jo's book-covers are always in such crummy condition, while the spines remain pristine? Nerd moment!

And yes all you naysayers, I've finally succumbed and used emoticons in text. So sue me.

No comments: