Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Yeesh. After two abortive attempts to upload pictures of the sleepover, as well as a rather long, emotive prose (twice!), I've decided it was never meant to be. So for now, I'll just write whatever i feel like saying with no structure whatsover, and randomly intersperse the photo's I originally intended to put in.

The past week has been...just incredible for me, mostly because of the sheer number of things happening. Truth is, my life is rather boring. So when I have two 'gatherings' of sorts in a week...woohoo! Upon reflection, its really been a blessing how I've been able to meet all sorts of people, and form such close bonds with them.

Now, I'm a very firm believer that whenever you invite people for parties, numbers should always be SMALL. Mostly because I absolutely abhor crowds, but also because I find that its somewhat pointless to invite someone to a function, and not have the time to spare a word or two for said someone. It was with this idea in mind that I organised that last stayover I had at my place. The way things are going, the likelihood of me being able to come back for Christmas has dwindled to maybe 30-40%, which is really dismal. In fact, SQ is fully booked from 4th to 16th Dec. Bah.

So for me, that last gathering was really a time of just celebrating the bond I shared with this group of people who contributed to the experience of my life as I know it over the past year or so, and irrevocably changed the way I perceive some things. I'll work backwards from there on. So keep a look out, faithful fans!


Oh yes! I'd like to interrupt this tirade with a short song which was broadcasted over dinner (poolside cafe not bad hor), which later devolved into song...by Yanling. Now its sung to the tune of 'My Girl' by the Temptations.

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day.
When it's cold outside
I've got the month of may.
I guess you'd say
What can make me feel this way?
Mi-chael
Talkin' 'bout Michael...MI-CHAEL!

*damage done, broadcast over*



Then also the tea on Saturday which, against all odds, turned out to be in my opinion a success. Despite lamenting having no new insights to offer, or information to share, it was really just...rather family-ish to gather everyone in a room on sofa's, and just talk about something that has been really close (or so I hope) to our lives over the past few years. Just reflecting on how the past 3 years have impacted my life...sigh. Its not really describable in words.

Then on to the present! No time to think! In between mugging learning outcomes and re-learning old lessons anew, I'm beginning to rediscover my passion for biology et al. Which is great, seeing how I'm about to go and STUDY it for the next few years or so. Yeesh. But I must say that against all preconceived notions, I find that I really have enjoyed myself over the past few days.

Preconceived notions are really a burden to carry around. Despite the obvious difference in heritage, I find that startling similarities can be drawn with that of the ol' Alma Mater. Palpable in the hallways is a sense of tradition and greatness, as though there exists something more than the mundane grade-grinding of an educational institution. Strangely enough, even the methods of propaganda in publications are alike (although they explicitly name their 'rivals'...so blase).

What differs though, is you sense that in this institution there is actually a thirst for learning; an inquisitiveness which is both frustrating and intriguing. Sure, you have your usual collection of dimwits, jocks and too-cool-for-j00 endemic to every boys-only school, but even they display a modicum of interest in what you have to say.

I guess one of the main lessons I've learned from yesterday and today is this:
Prejudice is something we learn from our elders.

Oh yes. Revenge.

All things considered, I should have put up the more unglam one. But what can I say? I'm just too nice =) And ok fine. The Michael Song was by me Ben and myself. But hey! It fits! Disclaimer: No scandal! Just poking fun! Thanks Yan for being such a great sport, and back off, buzzards.

...GEORGE!

No comments: